20 November 2008

Braino: The Non-Caustic Brain Cleaner

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAHH!

So begins one of my favorite songs as of late. It’s called ‘Face Pollution’ by Soundgarden off of the album ‘Badmotorfinger’ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badmotorfinger. One of the loudest hollers in my music collection, and a bad-ass eye-opener on those mornings where caffeine just isn’t enough. It blasts off the mental cobwebs. I think of it as ‘brain cleaner’.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

The song is loud, fast and aggressive. It also makes me laugh like a maniac. There are two of those hollers in it, and they both are funny. Maybe unintentionally so, but still. I love to put this on the cd player as I commute and crank it! The key is to suck in a big lungful of air so as to time the holler just right. If I could, I would stick my head out the window and

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Then I would laugh and laugh and hit that power note at the beginning of the song that sounds like an engine revving up, if engines sounded like electric guitars. No, an electric guitar crossed with a jet. Right after that, it’s like the musical equivalent of popping the clutch on a 454 big-block V8.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I get slammed back in the seat. Man that is some sonic g-forces at work! It feels like riding a motorcycle through the snow at high speed, fishtailing all over the place and feeling like at any moment your ass is going to be scraping over the pavement as you slide headlong into a snow bank (or maybe a tree or telephone pole). No, no, you only THINK you are going to crash headlong into a tree or a telephone pole. You miss it by inches only to roll to a stop next to the motorcycle, which flew off the road and into a drift.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Of course, the only thing to do is to jump up, holler and get back on the bike. Which is about what happens at the second holler. It is also funny to me that the lyrics of the song speak a lot about NOT feeling. Whaaat? There is no way you can feel nothing while listening to this song, even if that something is “TURN THAT SHIT OF, WOULD YA?!” To be fair, Chris Cornell is screaming (on key) that he doesn’t “feel like feeling like you”, which may be a roundabout way of saying ‘I don’t know what I feel, but I know I don’t want to be you because of what you are feeling.’ Maybe. This could all be bullshit.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

So what if its bullshit? It serves its purpose. It wakes me up. It makes me laugh. It gives me an excuse to holler at the top of my lungs, for the sole purpose of making me feel alive. I can’t ask much more than that from what I listen to when I want to freshen up the ol’ gray matter.
BRAINO: NOW WITH MORE SCRUBBING POWER! SCREAM WHILE YOU CLEAN!

1 comment:

  1. I'm gonna have to download that when I get home. I love being able to scream out a song in the privacy of my own car.

    ReplyDelete

"Let your laws come undone
Don't suffer your crimes
Let the love in your heart take control..."


-'The Hair Song', by Black Mountain

Tell me what is in your heart...