05 October 2011

Walls Within

An ordinary Tuesday night, and I was mildly bent out of shape over a snippet of douchebaggery I heard about on the news.  By now you've probably heard about the mental belch emitted by Hank Williams, Jr. regarding his idiotic and odious comparison of Barack Obama to Hitler.  Please note he said he was sorry that the remark offended some people.  He didn't say he was sorry to have said it in the first place.

Anyway.  This irritation I was feeling threatened to ruin my evening so I pushed myself to think of something else, something more constructive.  So I got to thinking about walls.

Walls.  The walls we build around ourselves, the ones we build around our hearts and in our minds.  To protect and to defend, to keep out the hurt.  And which can inadvertently keep out the help.

So as I cooled off and backed away from the rant that was forming in my head, I mused a little more on the walls I'm tearing down and the bridges I will build out of the fortress of my heart.  I wondered what it takes to truly overcome the bricks and stones of our souls, and how we return ourselves to the world.

I wondered, how will you tear down your walls, so I can see the true and wonderful you?

5 comments:

  1. I think that walls are generally a good thing. They make us explore ourselves before we explore what lies outside with due caution. You just have to make sure they are short enough to see over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting question. Most people hold the view that they come along and help tear down someone's walls. That wall tearing takes two, and is generally precipitated by the outsider.

    Yours seems different in that you wait for the walls to be torn down by the one who built them.

    There's something more to it, but I can't place my finger on it quite yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you knock on a wall with a tiny hammer and it sounds hollow, maybe don't waste your time. But if there's a stud there, maybe it's worth checking out further. Of course, that analogy works best when I'm a guy and you're a girl. Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting how the stupid comment by Hank Williams Jr. morphed in your head into something profound about walls.

    ReplyDelete

"Let your laws come undone
Don't suffer your crimes
Let the love in your heart take control..."


-'The Hair Song', by Black Mountain

Tell me what is in your heart...