29 January 2009

A Winter's Day - Flower And Web

By the miracle of this here Internettyweb thingie, I have had the pleasure of making the digital acquaintance of Michelle at Confessions of a Desperate Housewife. I forget exactly how I made it to her site, it may have been through Heinous at Irregularly Periodic Ruminations, but I am very glad I did. Michelle has quite the eye behind the camera, and has posted some very lovely photographs on her blog. The following shot of a pheasant is a particularly good example:


Very nice, I think you would agree! Beautiful bird caught at the right moment. What makes this picture even more special is Michelle got her car stuck in the snow, going back to the same area to get some more pictures. That’s dedication! Thankfully, the car was extricated and everyone got home safe.

There was another picture she posted, the day after the pheasant shot, that not only looked great, but had a nice caption. It was called “The Flower and the Web” and it sparked some creative thoughts in my noggin. So naturally I wanted to write something about it. I commented to Michelle that we should do a collaborative piece incorporating the picture and some text. To my delight, she agreed: she supplies the picture, I supply the words. I created a short story, sort of a “1 minute writer” type exercise, to go with the picture. So without further ado, we present a Theme on The Flower and The Web:

SUMMER TO WINTER: THE FLOWER AND THE WEB
The Spider did not see the Pheasant, as the Pheasant plucked it from the Flower.
The Pheasant did not see the Hunter, as the Hunter raised his Rifle.
The Hunter did not see the cracks in the Ice, as they split beneath him.
In the Silence after, the Flower and the Web nodded.

They had seen it all. Only they remain, waiting for Summer and all new things.


We hope you liked it. It was fun, and a great way to get some creative juices going. Please visit Confessions of a Desperate Housewife and check out some more great photos, drop some comment luv and let us both know your thoughts!

38 comments:

  1. This is just beautiful. I look forward to more and possibly participating in the future!

    Peace - Rene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant! Both the picture and the prose!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a very nice collaboration. A pretty and witty piece. One of my favorite kinds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous pictures!... and the poem ain't half bad either. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those pictures are beautiful and I did the writing assignment too! So, is the hunter gone for good?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You both are a whole lot of awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the assignment, I will go for a shot too. I am wondering what was your muse for the poor Hunter Irish. Damn man. And I look forward to checking out the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it. I love anything involving untimely deaths.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful!

    Forget architecture and concentrate on writing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice, kids. I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship...

    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow, man that was great. It's amazing that with so few words you can paint such a vivid image and tell a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice! And beautiful photos from Michelle too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was great. Well done you two..

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like how you incorporated the two elements, your imagination and a strangers, together. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! I'm way impressed. And, to think I wrote about poop today...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Niiiice! Great job both of you!
    In the story, I love how the universe works!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Iggy, this is so dark I don't even know what to think. Also, the scritch-scratching in my heating vent (is it a cat? is it a critter?) is very distracting, and that might be most of the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Absolutely brilliant! Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your collaboratiness leaves me all goose-bumpy.

    Yes, it does.

    If I ever wanted to shoot a pheasant, I don't now. The fact that I've never seen one helps matters somewhat, but no - no shooting. Just goosebumps.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, gorgeous. I like the look in the pheasant's eye.

    But man, the flower and the web are cold.. not even calling for help.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This was beautiful, and in a deep and haunting way. Which is how I most like my beautiful. The collaborative blog writing project: success!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have been looking forward to this, its awesome! I love the whole idea of collaborating, you guys really got some feeling out of me with this post, BRAVO.

    The pictures are stunning, and were described with words perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  23. that was a wonderful idea, and very, very creative.

    Thanks so much! (The pics were really fab. Have you been to Wayfaring Wanderer yet??? You guys would love her....)

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's a great idea. I've seen a few other people do this, not as good as you two, of course. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  25. like i told DHW,beautiful pics & words.you should do a book together
    $$$$$$$$$$$

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a fabulous idea. Great writing and amazing photos.

    Every day I visit this place and there is always something special. Thanks Gumbo.

    ReplyDelete
  27. LOL @ Momo Fali
    Tragedy works. *thumbs up*

    ReplyDelete
  28. LOVE the story. Michelle is great, isn't she?

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love that poem...and Michelle's pix. When she likes my shots, I'm honored!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Speechless. Love the pictures and the story.

    ReplyDelete

"Let your laws come undone
Don't suffer your crimes
Let the love in your heart take control..."


-'The Hair Song', by Black Mountain

Tell me what is in your heart...