11 February 2010

Blizzard is a Four-letter Word. It's Like, the F-Bomb of Winter Weather Reporting

Roads: terrible.
Temperatures: Cold enough to freeze the testes off copper-zinc alloy replicas of simians.
Winds: The unenjoyable kind of blowing.
Skies: Gray. Gray. Gray.

The blizzard arrived just as predicted. All schools closed, some through the end of the week. Baltimore is essentially shut down, and where I'm at is just as quiet. I went outside once today, for a grand total of two minutes. What I did was shovel off my patio, for the sake of something to do. And to flip the bird a little to to the weather. I was home all day because my office was closed. Smart move, even though I had decided long before that I was not going to go to work. One look out the window this morning convinced me of that real quick.

I spent the day catching up on nagging chores and tasks. Rolled up a significant amount of my to-do list, working online and chasing information. Made things happen, I did. Was on a roll. That is, until I tried to install the tax software I bought and downloaded. I ran setup 4 times, and that POS still didn't load. Even the artful ministrations of a gung-ho service tech failed to make it work. He apologized profusely, and said he was going to "escalate" the problem to another department. I should expect a phone call within the next 24 hours. Wheeee.

Oh, and another thing: about that same time, my heat went out. Perfect. Fortunately for me, the maintenance guys were on the ball, and had it fixed in a little under a half-hour. Yay, me!

This weather, its the pits. It sucks donkeys. And I'm not sure, but I thought I heard there may be another storm on the way next Monday.

Can I come to your house? I mean, As long as its far away from the snow? I'm quiet, and I don't take up much room. Pretty please?

24 comments:

  1. Now you know what eather is like here in Cleveland Oh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd totally invite ye ... but I think we're supposed to get more snow around here too, the only place NOT getting snow apparently ... is Vancouver, where they NEED hundreds of feetsies of show!!!

    Truly this weather is absolutely shitetastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry you have all our snow. It seems so unfair. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sure, you can come over. However, you need to bring your own shovel and you'll have the FIND the house in all this snow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, come Monday I plan to be far away from the snow (even if it's only in my head.) Stay home and warm. I'm willing to get down to my last crumb before venturing out.

    The only good thing about this latest storm is the grounds crew. God bless them! They shoveled my walk and driveway - twice! At least I finally figured out what 200 bucks a month gets me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It feels like we should be in Chicago, huh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As long as you bring some whiskey or some fine Belgian beer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Irish, my lad, you are ALWAYS welcome at the Sushi Bar. Having said that, however, we're only marginally better in the snow department.

    2 feet.

    And it's snowing now.

    And I can't do the dishes because I'm having my hot water heater replaced. And the house is a mess, covered with office equipment.

    But if you think you can stand this mess, our door is open.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two of my sons, ages 8 & 10 made fourty-two dollars in a single hour shoveling sidewalks yesterday. I'm considering quitting my job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Escalate the problem? Huh? That's a new one.

    It takes a big man to admit to not loving snow.

    My house is farther up north, so sadly we won't be expecting you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like that 'flip off the weather'...good one

    You could not see my car yesterday, until hubby pulled in next to it, and suddenly the snow feel off the hood of my car, poor guy (my van, yep its male) I felt like it was crying out to me for neglecting it for the sake of my own warmth...

    ReplyDelete
  12. C'mon over...we got fun galore and no snow! You can help me make cupcakes, go to TWO class Valentine parties and eat your weight in homemade treats, and maybe hit the Reddog tattoo emporium. I'll even take you to see Jake the Alligator Man. It'll provide enough gossip to run this town till summer!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Come over and I'll make Guinness stew. Yes, I like you that much!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We've still got the cold over here on this side of the pond. I thought maybe it had gone away a bit but it turns out that it was lurking around the corner with it's foot out ready to trip us up...

    ReplyDelete
  15. yes of course, if you can get a flight out. And odd you should mention donkeys. I saw one on the drive home yesterday. Hardly ever see donkeys. She was a cutie pie. Stay warm, IG!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Copper-zinc alloy testes? If I had a nickel for every time I heard that.

    You can come on over to Casa Fragrant Liar, Irish. No snow here, but it is, as they say, colder than a witch's tit. (What does that even mean?)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Irish, I feel your pain! I remember those Maryland winters, where the Chesapeake froze, three feet deep! If you could get a flight, you could come on down for Mardi Gras, cher! Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  18. We may actually get 2 or 3 flakes down here. Amazing if it happens. I used to live in Virginia and there were some rough winters on the Bay when I was a kid. But this winter is something else.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'd invite you here, but... well, can you get out of your airport?

    ReplyDelete
  20. After this second hit, I gave myself a knuckle sandwich.

    I broke up with snow. We're through.

    Cheer up, it's almost St. Patty's day.

    ReplyDelete
  21. We don't have snow here, just ever growing ponds from the endless rain. Did I hear the weatherman right when he said the sun packed his bags and moved to another solar system?

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's not bad enough you are stuck in a blizzard but you are installing TAX SOFTWARE???? You are a true glutton for punishment Gumbo.

    Snow here too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yes, you may come for a visit. It's been cold here (for us). In the sixties, but I think we're supposed to be back in the 70's by tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  24. it stranded me in san francisco for an extra day, then an extra day in houston...finally back to NYC only I go back to Tucson in 2 days....no fair...and there isn't even any snow on the ground!!! You are welcome to visit ANY time :-D

    ReplyDelete

"Let your laws come undone
Don't suffer your crimes
Let the love in your heart take control..."


-'The Hair Song', by Black Mountain

Tell me what is in your heart...