28 February 2010

Songs of Myself

Fell through the door,
running to the light
I was always wanting more
than a man like me might
be able to carry

Desperation was the fuel
that filled the tank of my ambition
But somewhere between the tank and the pedal
I lost my transmission
Or was the foot too weak to press?

Fell through the door and onto the porch
Watery sunlight burning like a torch
As the sun diffracted in tears
cast up from learning the truth

Ambition without courage is 
as good as buying failure
And running only makes you tired
It was too bad for me that
tired was what I wanted
because I mistook it for success.

Talk all you want,
think yourself a fine fellow,
and loathe yourself
for lack of spine.

---June 16, 2008
In the car at Ft. McHenry

3 comments:

  1. "Buying failure." Good stuff, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted more and expected more than another could give. I had to lower my expectations. Sounds simple but it was a painful process.

    ReplyDelete

"Let your laws come undone
Don't suffer your crimes
Let the love in your heart take control..."


-'The Hair Song', by Black Mountain

Tell me what is in your heart...