19 March 2010

Mobtown or Charm City: It Depends on the Mood

Baltimore, 8:13 a.m. intersection of South and Baltimore Street:


Just out of frame on the right is the El Basha Hookah Bar. I've never been there, but I've heard it is interesting. 'The Block' is just up ahead, you can see the Hustler Club peeking out above the car in front. Further up is the Baltimore Police headquarters...cheek and jowl with the seedier side. There used to be a sausage place up on the left called "Polock Johnny's", by all accounts a great place to get a Polish sausage sandwich or a hot half-smoke when hunger struck after a night in the strip clubs. Or so I've heard.

Here is another look at my sort of adopted hometown:



Baltimore...I'm not certain how I feel about you sometimes...but I don't know where I'd be if not here...


Photo credit, top: Irish Gumbo

8 comments:

  1. And I get no answers
    And I don't get no change
    It's raining in Baltimore, baby
    But everything else is the same

    that is what i think of when you say "baltimore"

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my other blog friends was recently contemplating where you're from and where you are. Cool post, IG.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Despite having lived an hour away for nearly ten years, I've only been there a handful of times (minus the airport, which does not count. Obviously). I love the waterfront area and the aquarium. Seeing an Orioles game.

    Okay now I miss the East Coast!

    It's nice to take a step back and find the good where we live. Sometimes we get so busy with life we forget all the great things right on our doorstep.

    ReplyDelete
  4. El Basha Hookah Bar???? I'm envious. Possibly similar to the Bhang Shop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Three thousand five hundred miles away
    But what would you change if you could?"

    9,100 people per square mile... that's got to count for some exciting cultural diversity, like hookah bars.

    Wear your rain coat so you don't have to put the top down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course Irish, my only experience of Baltimore is from watching 'The Wire'!

    It means everything though to feel comfortable in your surroundings....

    The Hustler club sounds like a good place for me to get some inspiration to!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hookah now there is something I have wanted to get my hands on...and you in Baltimore-

    A fantasy, written and produced in E's brain...

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know how many times I have hit replay on that video...

    ReplyDelete

"Let your laws come undone
Don't suffer your crimes
Let the love in your heart take control..."


-'The Hair Song', by Black Mountain

Tell me what is in your heart...